GRADE 8s – IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
I hope you are enjoying your summer and are looking forward to starting your high school experience at Garibaldi! I would like to take this opportunity to share with you some information about school start-up for grade 8 students.
On the first day of school, grade 8 students will attend a special orientation led by our student Link Crew Leaders & Link Crew teachers, Ms. Lemieux & Ms. Gibbs.
- Tuesday, September 5th
- 8:30 – ALL Grade 8s attend assembly in gym
- 9:30 – Student workshops led by Link Crew Leaders
- 11:30 – School tours
- 11:45 – Lunch provided by the school!
- 12:30 – Students to their Block A teacher’s room
- – Students receive their timetables & lockers
- 2:00 – Dismissal
This year, Garibaldi is beginning two new programs specifically for grade 8 students. We are pleased to announce that Garibaldi has entered the candidacy phase of the Middle Years Programme (MYP). The MYP is an internationally recognized program for ALL students entering grade 8 in September 2017. The Middle Years Programme is an INCLUSIVE, WHOLE SCHOOL programme that is offered to more than 1 million students in over 3,700 schools in 147 countries. The Middle Years Programme focusses on developing critical, creative, and reflective thinkers within a global perspective. It encourages students to make connections between their studies and the real world. The new provincial curriculum for grades 8 and 9, which are being fully implemented this year, aligns with the IB Middle Years Programme. The new curriculum places emphasis on student inquiry, big ideas, competencies, and global awareness, all part of the IB Middle Years Programme.
The second new program we are adding is Link Crew, which is designed to provide grade 8 students with a strong foundation and a positive peer mentor as they begin high school. Link Crew is a high school transition program that aims to make grade 8 students feel comfortable and connected during their first year of high school. The program is built on the belief that students can help students succeed. Link Crew follows a proven method of training senior students to be Link Crew mentors throughout the year. More and more studies show that if students have a positive experience during their first year in high school, their chance of success dramatically increases.
I would also like to remind you that throughout the year, all necessary information about the school is communicated on our website at gss.sd42.ca; THE GAZETTE is updated daily with all the latest school news and information. Additionally, on our website, you will find links for our Facebook, Twitter & Instagram pages.
School Fees are to be paid on the SD42 Parent Portal. If you are unable to pay your fees on the portal, you may pay fees directly at the GSS office during the week of August 28th – September 1st.
- The following school fees apply:
- Student fee $28.00 (MANDATORY)
- There is a FREE GSS Planner APP available for download for all students
- Yearbook $50.00 (OPTIONAL)
- Lock purchase $6.00 each (OPTIONAL – 2 recommended – one for gym locker)
- Supplies for each course will be outlined by subject teachers. All students require binders, paper, pens, pencils and gym strip for the first week of school.
A few exciting opportunities for parents to connect with the school are offered during the first few weeks of school. Please access the Gazette on our website to stay up-to-date with events as the year unfolds.
- Wednesday, 13th – PAC Meeting at 6pm in the Library
- Wednesday, 13th – Grade 8 Band parent Meeting at 7pm
- Thursday, 14th – School Photos & Music Parent Meeting at 7pm
- Monday, 25th – Non-Instructional Day
- Wednesday, 27th – Grade 8 Family Welcome BBQ at 6pm
- We will be hosting a Back to School Grade 8 Family BBQ. In addition to providing information on how to assist your child with being successful this year, we will also provide a hot dog barbecue with refreshments. Please RSVP with the subject line BBQ to email@example.com and include the number of guests who will be coming with you, how many hot dogs you request and if anyone would prefer a veggie dog.
- Friday, 29th – Music Student & Families Welcome BBQ at 5:30
We also invite all host families to our International Education night on October 5th at 7pm, more information to come!
I am very excited about the future of our school and the opportunities that await our students. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at the school.